Around 1000 years ago, Casa Castagna was a fortified watchtower. In about 1400, the top of the tower came off and the released building materials were used to construct the farm complex we see today. Minor improvements were made in around 1760 with restoration and modernisation carried out in both the 1980’s and early 2000’s.
The stub of the original tower forms the left hand side of the “Casa Padronale”, or manor house, with its one and a half metre thick walls of stone, while farm buildings were built beyond the courtyard behind. Much of the building displays original wooden beams, pianelle, cotto and stone.
The property has its own walled garden and an abundance of trees, shrubs and plants.
The available accommodation is the entirely private and self-contained ground floor and part first floor of Casa Castagna, comprising of one double bedroom with stained glass window, one large twin-bedded room, a good-sized living room, a kitchen and a bathroom. There is Sky TV, a DVD player, wi-fi broadband, laundry facilities, and an open fireplace.
Outside is the exclusive, secluded floral terrace accessed directly from the kitchen. In the wall by the front door is the original bread or pizza oven.
Loc. Fonaco 11
52035 MONTERCHI (AR)